Monday, September 1, 2008

What It's Like To Be Unemployed

I started thinking this morning about what it has to be like to be unemployed. I've been out of a job for only a month so I don't have a clue what that really means. How do people do it? I mean I come from a job where I got a check every two weeks and didn't really have to worry about not having work. My managers always took care of me and made sure there was business coming in.

There are a lot of jobs out there where the pay isn't so regular and business isn't guaranteed. Like being self-employed, or being a writer or something. I was watching Californication on Showtime and thought how does this guy make it? He's got to have money coming in from somewhere. He's got a Porsche, a nice house, and writes books for a living. But he had'nt written one for years so what's the story?

I want to find someone who's unemployed and doesn't have any source of guaranteed income. I think it would be good for me to see I'm not the only one. Ask them what they do and how they're getting by.

2 comments:

Meg said...

Fun fact for the day: BBC News recently reported that David Duchovny, star of Californication, admitted himself to a facility that treats sex addictions. Maybe that's what he does when he doesn't have a job or hasn't written a book in a while...

Steve said...

That is interesting. Watching X-Files for years and then seeing this show is like seeing Robin Williams in 'Mrs. Doubtfire' and then listening to his standup.

 
ss_blog_claim=9156edd153ff3e4bc2b97ae9b1051371